Building Permits and Inspections
Through the building permitting process, the Building Division of the Development Services Department regulates building and construction in the Town of Lantana. Many projects in the Town require a building permit. Read below to learn more!
Projects in the Town of Lantana which require a permit:
- New buildings or structures
- Additions and renovations to buildings or structures
- Structural repairs
- Temporary buildings, sheds, pergolas, porches or accessory structures
- A/C Projects including exact changeouts
- Roofing projects
- Walls (including masonry walls and retaining walls)
- Docks, boatlifts, seawalls, and other water related-development
- Driveways, parking lots, patios, pavement/pavers
- Plumbing, electrical, gas
- Swimming pools, pool decks, and spas
- Windows and doors
- Garage doors
- Hurricane shutters
- Generators, electrical equipment, and telecommunication equipment
- Solar panels
- Tents, canopies, or awnings
- Construction staging
- Excavations and site work
- Installation of allowable material in a Town swale
- Installation of artificial turf
- And more! Reach out to us at BuildingPermit@lantana.org if you have questions on if your project requires a permit.
Certain permits can be expedited if they meet Florida Statutory requirements under Chapter 553. Applicants seeking expedited review will be required, upon submission of the applicable building permit or development order, to notify the Town that he or she is requesting expedited processing and state the Statutory basis entitlement for such expedited processing. Upon review, the Town will give higher priority in the processing of building permits and development orders that qualify under the Statutes. Contact us for further information. The Town has no Town owned property appropriate for affordable housing.
Commonly Asked Building Permitting Questions
Does My Project Require an Inspection?
All building permits issued by the Town of Lantana will require inspection. You must apply for and receive a permit before having an inspection.
If you’ve completed work on a permitted project, call the Town of Lantana Inspection Line at (561) 540-5788 before 3 PM to schedule an inspection for the next business day. Inspections are conducted between 9 AM – 3 PM on business days.
When requesting an inspection, be sure to provide the following information: permit number (shown on permit and inspection record), contact name, phone number of responsible person in charge, job site address, and specific inspection requested (ex. Footer, tin/tag, etc.).
How Do I Obtain a Permit?
You can apply for a permit through the Development Services Department, Building Division. Feel free to visit our office at 504 Greynolds Circle or to contact us at the information below for information on submitting a permit. All submittals for a permit require 2 paper copies and 1 digital copy of the proposed work. If you’re curious if the project meets Town Code and will be allowed in the Town, please reach out to us before submitting a permit application.
When are Permit Fees due?
Permit Fees are collected at the time of submittal. Payment can be made by cash, check or money order only. Credit Cards and online payments are not accepted.
Who Can Apply for Permits?
Contractors registered in the Town of Lantana can apply for a permit. Also, a property owners may apply for a permit (within certain guidelines) as an Owner/Builder. All contractors are required to register with the Town by providing specific requested documentation. Visit our Applications page to access the Contractor Registration Form. Completed contractor registration forms and backup documentation may be emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted to our office.
Can I Remove Landscaping for a Permitted Project?
No tree should be removed in the Town of Lantana without a valid tree removal permit. Please reach out to Planning@Lantana.org for more information.
Where Do I Find the Permit Applications?
Visit our Applications page to access Permit Applications and Forms. If you don't see a form you're looking for, feel free to reach out to us for more information.
What If I Want to Report Work Being Done Without a Required Permit?
Reach out to Code Enforcement at CodeEnforcement@Lantana.org or (561) 540-5790.
What Does a True Building Inspection Look Like?
Building inspections occur when an applicant for a permit requests an inspection of completed work. When a permit applicant is ready to have an inspection, they must request the inspection on the Town inspection line. A Building Inspector will only visit your home in the case of a requested inspection or in a response to an emergency event. The inspector will always be wearing a Town of Lantana name badge. If you’d like to verify the inspection, please call the Development Services Department at 561-540-5776 or email BuildingPermit@lantana.org. If you feel someone is impersonating a Building Inspector, please report this to the Town of Lantana Police Department.
What is the Town's process for reviewing, processing, and approving building permit applications?
- The applicant should provide a completed permit application with all backup documentation to the Town Development Services Staff.
- The applicant should also provide all contractor registration details or Owner Builder Affidavit (if applicable) to Staff.
- The applicant should provide payment for the permit application to Staff.
- Staff will review the application package for application sufficiency and completeness.
- Reviewers for independent disciplines will review the application for compliance with laws and ordinances (as applicable for each permit type).
- Staff will provide the applicant with written documentation of any application deficiencies at the email address provided at the time of application.
- As applies, the applicant should resubmit documentation to correct deficiencies.
- Upon correction of all deficiencies and compliance with all laws and ordinances, the Town Building Official will approve and issue the permit (or may deny the permit if compliance is not met).
- Staff will notify the applicant that the permit has been approved at the email address provided at the time of application.
- The applicant may pick up the approved permit documentation at the Development Services Department.
- At the time of pick up, staff will provide the applicant a list of required inspections (inspection card) for the project.
- The applicant should submit a recorded Notice of Commencement for A/C Permits over $7,500, and any other permitted project over $2,500 in value prior to requesting an inspection.
- The applicant should submit other final documentation such as surveys, as-builts, elevation certificates, and others (as applies) to Town Staff prior to requesting an inspection.
- The applicant may request an inspection by calling the inspection request line for the Town (561-540-5788) or by emailing the request with the permit number, contact name, phone number, job address, and inspection requested to email@example.com.
- Once all inspections are passed, the Town Building Official will designate the permit as finaled.
Town of Lantana Building Division Contact Information: