What is Code Enforcement?
Lantana's Code of Ordinances provides standards of housing, safety, sanitation, and other important elements for our community. Keeping our town safe and clean, with well-maintained and desirable properties, helps to increase the desirability of the community, as well as property values . This is very important in protecting most families' single largest investment – their homes.
The Code Enforcement Division is responsible for ensuring that the residences, properties and businesses in the Town of Lantana comply with the code. In addition, Chapter 162, Florida Statutes, authorizes municipalities to impose fines and non-criminal penalties for violations of the Town's code.
A Code Enforcement Officer can either initiate a code violation action based upon their own observation or in response to a citizen complaint. Complaints should be reported to the Code Enforcement Division at 561-540-5790. When you call, please make sure you provide the correct address of the possible violation, a clear description of the problem, and your name and phone number if you want us to return your call. Complaints are public record if you leave your name and phone number. Complaints may be made anonymously.
If applicable, please contact Lantana's Code Enforcement Department for an Abandoned Real Estate Property Registration Application. As per Town of Lantana's Ordinance No. O-14-2010, please complete the registration application and return to Code Enforcement along with a $100.00 application fee.
Click this link for the Town Code of Ordinances
10 of the Most Common Code Violations
1. Setting out the garbage and trash too early or on the wrong day.
2. Parking a vehicle in the yard.
3. Failing to obtain necessary Town permits for construction, renovation, or garage sales.
4. Landscape problems, such as “hat-racking” tree trimming or removing a protected tree.
5. Too many paper signs in business windows.
6. Maintaining a property below the minimum housing standards.
7. House numbers are not visible, too small, or not of a contrasting color to the background.
8. Improper display of signs (Yard Sale, Help Wanted, etc.) on the swale, trees or utility poles, etc.
9. Outdoor storage in public view.
10. Inoperable / unregistered vehicles
How Does the Code Violation Process Work?
There are two primary types of codes used in the Town of Lantana – the Town Code of Ordinances and the Building Code. The Code of Ordinances includes all the rules adopted specifically for Lantana by the Town Council. The Town Code addresses everything from building setbacks – how far from the street you need to build a building, the size of a parking space and how often trash is collected.
When you violate the code, the Code Enforcement Officer will usually give you a VERBAL OR WRITTEN WARNING. This is to inform you of the violation and allow you some time to correct the condition. If the condition is particularly unsafe, obnoxious or life threatening, this warning may be skipped and the Town of Lantana may require immediate compliance.
If you do not correct the violation during the allotted time, you will be issued a NOTICE OF VIOLATION (NOV). The NOV indicates a specific number of days and will provide a suggested method to correct the problem. The property will be re-inspected to determine if the violation has been corrected by the designated date. If it has not been corrected, the officer will issue a CITATION TO APPEAR BEFORE THE SPECIAL MAGISTRATE via Certified Mail. The Special Magistrate sits as a judge to rule on code violation cases and meets at Town Hall once a month normally on the third Thursday. The Special Magistrate's decision will usually specify how to correct the violation and declare a date by which the violation(s) must be corrected. The Special Magistrate will also impose administrative costs and set a fine to take effect if the violation is not corrected.
Town of Lantana Code Enforcement Contact Information:
- Location: Development Services Department, 504 Greynolds Circle, Lantana, FL 33462
- Lobby Walk-In Hours: 8:00 AM – 3:30 PM
- Phone Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
- Code Enforcement Main Phone: (561) 540-5790
- Code Enforcement Email: CodeEnforcement@Lantana.org